Chicks outside at night in New England

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GBryant890, Mar 30, 2017.

1. GBryant890

GBryant890 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    I'm in Massachusetts and I've got four chicks that are about five weeks old. I'm thinking about taking them outside in 2-3 weeks to meet their future coopmates, a pair of one year old New Hampshire Reds. I'll be leaving them outside in a separate enclosure for the day in about four weeks, weather permitting. What kind of night time temperatures should we be having before I start leaving them outside at night?

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Hi! In 3 weeks, they should be getting to almost fully feathered. At that age, they can be outside in some pretty cold weather, and it's really your choice to a certain degree. (Get it? [​IMG]) I wouldn't leave them out below 20 degrees at that age. :)

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    By 5 weeks old they should be able take the outside temps....unless you've kept them too warm inside.

I keep the heat as low as possible after the first couple days so they feather out faster, usually done with heat by 3-4 weeks.

When I brooded inside I'd open the windows in the brooder room to get them used to cooler temps.
    Also take them outside to a day pen during nice days to get them used to the outside.

I would also use a 'huddle box', put it in the brooder after turning off the heat(you might have to 'persuade' them to use it) then move it out to the coop with them.
    Cardboard box with a bottom a little bigger than what they need to cuddle next to each other without piling and tall enough for them to stand in.
    Cut an opening on one side a couple inches from bottom and big enough for 2-3 of them to go thru at once.
    Fill the bottom with some pine shavings an inch or so deep.
    This will give them a cozy place to sleep/rest, block any drafts and help hold their body heat in.

Do you have an intergration plan?
    Might want to read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
    This is good place to start reading, tho some info is outdated IMO:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by