Chicks Outside in AZ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AZchickens17, Mar 17, 2017.

1. AZchickens17

AZchickens17 Chillin' With My Peeps

The low temperature at night is about 60 degrees, but I will keep them outside in a dog kennel insluated with cardboard as well as a heat lamp. Chicks are about 2 weeks old. During the day it is about 90 degrees, which concerns me. How will I keep them cool in the blazing heat? Also how can I build a play pen for them to run around in during the day?

2. AZchickens17

Should I drop in ice cubes into their water or put a mister on one side?

3. -Wirth-

-Wirth- Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    I have chicks that are 1-2 weeks old chicks are in a brooder with a heat lamp at 90 degrees right now. You can try to build something for them to run around in outside, but they may not be willing to yet. How many chicks do you have?

4. mclanea

mclanea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2016
    San Diego
    I think they will be fine with plenty of shade. I turn my lamp off during the warmer part of the day then at night I just cover their brooder with a towel to help it keep heat in there. According to my thermometer it stays in the mid-80s even on a cooler night.

5. AZchickens17

I have 7 chicks

6. AZchickens17

Thank you

7. mclanea

May 19, 2016
    San Diego
    I think with 7 of them and some bedding they could always huddle up if they get a little cold.

For the heat they definitely will need shade. I do give my adult chickens ice water. If it's really hot I put ice between two patio block, they sit on the patio blocks to keep cool

8. AZchickens17

How would I keep the chicks cool? I will keep them in the shade, but can I put a mister on them?

9. mclanea

May 19, 2016
    San Diego

Turn the lamp off and make sure the dog kennel isn't in direct sunlight. Our brooder is under our porch covering, it only gets direct sunlight in the evening. 90 with no direct sunlight and access to cool water, they will be fine.

You just have to give them a way to escape a direct hit from the sun.

10. AZchickens17

I covered up the sides with those waterproof signs businesses use for advertising, to insulate and protect the chicks. Since the top is not covered, should I drape a towel to keep them from getting directly hit on the top?

Also could I drop in ice cubes to their waterer to cool it off?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by