Chicks outside in the cold w/ Heat lamps???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by boilerjoe_96, Mar 3, 2008.

1. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    6 and 12 week old chicks in a OSB enclosure (4' wide by 8 feet long by 30 inches high). I just put them outside and have 2 250 watt heat lamps in the coop(red ones). Do you think they will stay warm enough? It is supposed to get down into teens this week.

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    If I was you, they'd be in their brooder because of how cold it is out.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it is draft free and you can confirm that the chicks are warm enough at 3 am in the morning. They can be out there no problem.

I just noticed you said 6 and 12 week old chicks. Two heat bulbs like that with no draft and they will be fine! The 12 weekers should be feathered and the 6 weekers are getting close. Put them out and keep an eye on them.

4. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Just put a thermometer in there that way you'll know for sure. As long as the temp is warm enough and its draft free they will be fine. If its warm enough under the lights, the chicks will stay warm.

5. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Silkie - Yes... 5, 6 week olds that we hatched in chirstmas incubator.... 7, 12 week olds that a broody hen hatched.

I have a wireless digital thermometer...unfortunately it is too far from coop to house for the wireless part to do me much good. I have to get the base a little closer...(grrrr)

They were smelling up the garage and wife wanted them out.... I will be watching closely... thanks

6. mhoward92

mhoward92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2007
    if there is no draft they should be fine out there since they are older. but if it drops below zero or the wind chill gets very high i would suggest taking them inside until it warms back up a bit.

7. sBrickmanHouse

sBrickmanHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    You know, I was really confused about the whole brooder vs. outside in the cold thing, too.

We got our first ever batch of chicks from McMurray on February 10, and winter temps generally range from 15 to 45 F where we are.

Maybe we were completely unprepared, or our cardboard water heater box brooder was completely inadequate, but by a week or so, I was totally ready to have those fluffy maniacs out of my house! We moved them into their brand new (very secure and draft free) coop at 9 days old, with two heat lamps, tons of food, fresh water, and most importantly, tons of room!

It's only been a couple of weeks since they've been out there, but they appear to be in chicken heaven. I think it must totally depend on the facilities. If your coop is such that they can stay warm and dry, they appear to do great.

Here's our chicken condo (not painted yet, though, that will have to wait till Spring!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Exactally. It all depends on the facilities. A cardboard box brooder is a death sentence outside in the early spring, but a enclosed chicken coop for day olds in freezing weather is fine as long as it is draft free and you can keep the heat up in the building. If food, water, space, and heat can be provided at the correct levels, they are good to go. Only challenge is if they are far outside, you can't watch them in your bed clothes!

I actually keep mine out in a out door brooder from week one onwards. I give them a heat lamp and out they go.

9. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    YOU REALLY NEED SOMETHING TO BLOCK THE WIND

10. jray

jray Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    Piedmont, SC
    My brooder box is my metal building (not heated) that doubles as my wood wroking shop. The temps here in the upstate of SC have been pretty cool and mine are doing great under 2 heat lamps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by