Chicks outside now

Dirtyhip

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
The Cascades
I left the coop door open today, so they could have free roaming in their chicken run. I think they are about 7 weeks old now, and mostly feathered out. They were out roaming, as I left for work. Clearly they want to be out. I can't help but be a little nervous. <helicopter parent>

They are saying "Thanks, Got any treats?"

red1.jpg

smile.png

Yeah, I remember hovering around my crew when they were out for the first time.
fl.gif

I have had them out before, but I helicoptered over our precious little snowflakes.

They were out all day yesterday. I was in and out, but constantly checking on them.
pop.gif

is the run covered. I would recommend keeping them in the run while gone and not supervised. At 7 weeks they are pretty young to be out while you are gone. JMHO I am a nervous papa

Last edited:
Mine are 4 weeks today and they have been out during the day in a fully enclosed run for about a week. They love it. They go in and out, the heatlamp is still on inside so they go back in to warm up occasionally but other than that they're having a blast exploring their realm. I'm very sure that nothing can get into the run so I'm fine leaving them out by themselves. They put themselves to bed inside when it gets dark. Just have to close the hatch.

Quote:
I just looked at your locations weather compared to mine and they are nearly idential, WOW I am excited to think I could actually put my chicks out soon without a problem! Mine are 1 week younger, so maybe in a week or two I will attempt it!

They lived. They were laying down in the coop, when I came home. I think they had a busy day. Actually, they seemed quite happy and feisty when I opened the door..it woke them up. They came back out and were jousting a bit. Like, two of them were charging each other.

They acted thrilled with the freedom. Now, they are locked back inside and their light is on for the night.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom