1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks outside now

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dirtyhip, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Dirtyhip

Dirtyhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    I left the coop door open today, so they could have free roaming in their chicken run. I think they are about 7 weeks old now, and mostly feathered out. They were out roaming, as I left for work. Clearly they want to be out. I can't help but be a little nervous. <helicopter parent>

They are saying "Thanks, Got any treats?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

No time like the present. The more they are exposed to fall's cool weather, the better they'll be adjusted to winter's cold weather. Chickens LOVE 40-60F degree weather. It's not too hot and not below zero. They love it.

3. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Aww!! I love the helicopter parent! LOL that is SOOO me with my "people kids" !!!!

4. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    well good luck ! Must feel good to have them out and about. Give us an update at the end of the day [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yeah, I remember hovering around my crew when they were out for the first time. [​IMG]

6. Dirtyhip

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    I have had them out before, but I helicoptered over our precious little snowflakes.

They were out all day yesterday. I was in and out, but constantly checking on them. [​IMG]

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    is the run covered. I would recommend keeping them in the run while gone and not supervised. At 7 weeks they are pretty young to be out while you are gone. JMHO I am a nervous papa

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  8. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Mine are 4 weeks today and they have been out during the day in a fully enclosed run for about a week. They love it. They go in and out, the heatlamp is still on inside so they go back in to warm up occasionally but other than that they're having a blast exploring their realm. I'm very sure that nothing can get into the run so I'm fine leaving them out by themselves. They put themselves to bed inside when it gets dark. Just have to close the hatch.

9. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I just looked at your locations weather compared to mine and they are nearly idential, WOW I am excited to think I could actually put my chicks out soon without a problem! Mine are 1 week younger, so maybe in a week or two I will attempt it!

10. Dirtyhip

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    They lived. They were laying down in the coop, when I came home. I think they had a busy day. Actually, they seemed quite happy and feisty when I opened the door..it woke them up. They came back out and were jousting a bit. Like, two of them were charging each other.

They acted thrilled with the freedom. Now, they are locked back inside and their light is on for the night. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by