chicks outside temperature?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mandapanda3186, Apr 9, 2011.

1. mandapanda3186

mandapanda3186 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    How warm should it be before you let them out to scratch? Its about 72 here..beautiful...chicks are 1 week old...too cold still? Id there a base temp you can figure its warm enough for a little outside time?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If it's sunny and very light/no wind, I'd take them out for maybe 15-20 minutes. They'll let you know through huddling or distressed peeping when they're ready for a warm lamp... Be careful; they're quick!

3. 1HappyFamily

1HappyFamily Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    I had this very question myself, it has been 70-80 degree's here lately & I was told you can take them out for about 20-30 minutes but to keep an eye on their actions so that they don't get stressed... We took ours out yesterday for about 20 minutes & again today & they seemed to enjoy it today a lot! Yesterday it was learning what they heck they were stepping on or so it seemed lol!

[​IMG] Tracy [​IMG]

Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile. Mother Teresa

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

On a gorgeous day like today, mother hen likely would have had them out for a lengthy walk. Limit their time, for sure, but they'll tell you when they've had enough. They don't need to be baking in 90 heat all the time. They enjoy the breaks.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  5. mandapanda3186

mandapanda3186 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    Thanks for the advice! I took them out in two grous(so I didn't have to watch all 22 at once [​IMG] for about 10 - 15 min. They enjoyed it! [​IMG]

6. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    Our week olds stay out in our coop with the others and they are out in the run all day, they love it, 70 and above is fine for them. I think sometimes we bably them too much because my parents and grandparents never had chicks in their house and they did not have heat lamps outside for them either and they did just fine.

7. 1HappyFamily

1HappyFamily Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    So true but I love babying ours, ours are pets for us & we adore them so a little extra pampering works [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by