1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks outside... what is she doing? Pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ellie, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I took them outside today for the first time. They are 1 week, 3 days old.

[​IMG]

Say, what is it doing? They all took turns putting their wing out like that.... is it ok to put them outside so early? I am such a worry wart.
    Ellie

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Looks like my babies when they were stretching! They would put out their wing on one side and then stretch out their foot towards the back.

So cute babies!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They are relaxing in the sun!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's the famous sunbathing pose! My adults do it, too, sometimes in groups.

5. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    AWWWWW how cute a baby sun bath. Have you seen them dust bathe yet. That's so funny to see for the first time.

Even my blind chicken will sunbathe. I love it. Chickens are so fun!

6. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Way cool. It looked like they were sunbathing for sure.... the cage was half sun and half shade and they all did this thing in the sun.

Whew! Thanks, I am really having fun with them. They took to the outside (It was 90 degrees in the shade) so well.

I was so proud when they all lined up seeing me take them out one at a time to put them back inside. What fantastic chicks. [​IMG]

Ellie

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Freaked my husband out first time he saw this. He thought they were dying!

8. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Hey, Coyote, didn't want to admit it but....[​IMG]

I thought, "what the heck", then realized they ALL couldn't have the same malady....[​IMG]

They are way too much fun.

Ellie

9. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Awwwww... how cute... I miss that age... I want some more babies.... but DH says not til next spring... good thing you all are keeping me halfway satisfied with pics..... They are so much fun and wonderful to watch at that age.

10. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Yeah when mine started the dust bathe thing - I thought for a second there was something wrong with them! That is FUNNY to watch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by