Chicks outside!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by neener92, Sep 20, 2009.

1. neener92

neener92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    I have 8 one week old chicks, 8 one week old guinea keets, and 4 three month old chicks that I plan on introducing to each other. The 4 older ones have been outside their whole life with their mommy, and I have just recently put them in a cage so I can feed them starter food and tame them down, as they have been free ranging with my not so tame hen named, Momma, cause this year she hatched 6 broods (weird I know!). I am wanting to take the one week old ones outside and put a light on all of them but I'm not sure if it is to cold outside or not (it gets about 40 degrees at night) but I was thinking with 4 older chicks and a heat lamp they would be ok. What do you all think?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Sounds good to me...

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sorry, I disagree with Cmom on this. Usually I don't. I think the 3 month old chicks would pick on and probably kill the one week olds. I would not integrate them at that age but would wait until the younger ones were closer in size to the grown ones. This link may help.

Buff HooliganÂ’s Adding to your flock
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

If you can provide them protection from the other chickens and a draft-free environment with appropriate heat levels, I am all favor of raising them in the coop and not in the house. I think it helps their immunity development and helps with integration issues later on. But I think trying to integrate them now is inviting disaster.

4. neener92

neener92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    They are all outside, and they love it! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by