Chicks outside?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BR75, Jan 22, 2011.

1. BR75

BR75 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    My barred rocks are now 4 weeks old and have not been outside yet. It is supposed to get up to 48 degrees on Sunday. Could I take them out for a while or is it too soon and cold?

I didn't mean to post this in this section, but maybe someone can offer some advice.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I don't see why you couldn't at least for a little bit. Mine have been outside with mama since they day they were hatched! [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine have been out all day since 1 week old, not even going under mama to get warm. We've had highs in the 40's and 50's and lows in the teens several times since the last batch was hatched late November. Seven more are due Monday. If they've been indoors under heat I'd start getting them used to being out, and turn off the heat lamp.

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I too let my very young chicks (about a week old) outside to scratch in the dirt. I had a tractor with a brooder lamp hanging inside. Everyday the chicks had a ritual of being collected from the brooder, being put into a large rubbermaid tub with pine shavings in the bottom and carried to the tractor. I'd then lay the tub on it's side up near the brooder lamp. This way, the chicks could cruise around the 4' X 8' tractor and get into the box if they needed to get warm and out of the wind and to pile up on each other to take their frequent naps. It only took a couple weeks before most of the chicks would fly right up out of the brooder and into their day tub in eager anticipation of getting to hang out all day in the tractor. I only had 8 birds at the time so it was relatively easy. I would also note that they were under constant supervision when outside. The funny thing was, even after they were some eight months old they'd run straight for the tractor when ever I'd let them out from the coop.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah...I think they'd have a great time, although I wouldn't keep them out long if they've been use to house temps. And if you haven't, start transitioning them off the lamp - getting them use to cooler and cooler temps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by