chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by metodd, Nov 27, 2011.

1. metodd

metodd New Egg

Nov 27, 2011
    Hello -- I've read some threads about this topic, but thought I'd ask this anyway because I want to be sure about what I do.

I'm in Sonoma CA, it's in the 50s-60s for highs right now, and down into the 30s and 40s at night.

I have 6 chicks that are 7 weeks old today. They look like they have all their feathers.

I've had them outside the past few days during the day with no problems. I have 2 1 year old Cuckoo Marans, no other chickens.

I'd like to know if you think I can start putting them in the coop overnight. The older chickens don't seem to bother the little ones. Thoughts?

Thank you

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    7 wks is still young. You can put in over night but I'd still have a heat lamp for 30 & 40 is chilly. Ours went in the coop at 8 wks. but that was beginning of summer and the nights were actually getting warmer instead of cooler.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'd be much more concerned about flock integration than I would be your mild temperatures. Remember, the coop is generally warmer, by 10 degrees, than the outside air. Your temps are MILD and your chicks plenty old enough. 40 degrees is not cold for a 7 week old.

But..... Older birds can get really ornery over "their" space.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  4. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    I put mine outside in steps... integrate them into the cooler temps. They start in the house, then go into our unheated mudroom with a brooder light, then I start turning the light off during the day and then all together, and then outside they go! I haven't lost a chick yet. They have been out for two months now and our temps are getting very low and I haven't lost one. There are 13 in the grow-out pen right now.

5. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Fred's Hens :

I'd be much more concerned about flock integration than I would be your mild temperatures. Remember, the coop is generally warmer, by 10 degrees, than the outside air. Your temps are MILD and your chicks plenty old enough. 40 degrees is not cold for a 7 week old.

Yes....didn't think about the chickens already residing in there!!​

6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    As long as the older chickens aren't bothering the babies - the babies should be okay moving into the coop. The temps you have are fine for 7 week olds and they will most likely want to sleep on the floor of the coop for a couple of weeks. You can try putting them on the roost, but don't be surprised if they are on the floor huddled together when you find them in the morning. I would make sure the older ones are okay with the babies first though by letting them hang out together in a run or side by side in separate runs for awhile.

I moved my six week olds into the big coop on Saturday and they did just fine. It got down into the upper 30s last night and up to the mid 60s during the day. They seem to be making out just fine with the weather changes and with the older chicks.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Fred's Hens :

X2

My 6, maybe 7 week old chicks are tolerating our nighttime lows in the 30s just fine, but I wouldn't dare put them in with my adult hens who get kinda cranky if another chicken invades their space; thus the little ones have their own coop.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by