Chicks over eating on grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goatkeepers, Apr 15, 2008.

1. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    I bought a bag of the granit grit stuff for our three 4-week-old (tomorrow! [​IMG] ) chicks and everytime I put some free choice in their cage, they jsut keep eating! Is this normal? I sprinkled it over their regular food the first day, like the bag said to do and then tried to give it to them free choice the next day, but I had to take it out because they just go to town when it's in there! What should I do?
    Thanks guys.
    Nina

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I dont use it but I wouldnt give more than a "dose a day".

3. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    Grit is like Ice Cream and kids and should be treated like that sprinkle a little on their food once in a while- If you are using chick starter it isn't needed

4. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    I hand feed mine some every day, then leave a little in the brooder on one of the boards I use to elevate the feeders. Mine do the same thing. "Hey, wow, stuff to peck at!!"

I use it because I offer chopped green grass starting at 2 weeks old.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I also give greens and stuff to my chicks since they were about 2 weeks...so I put a little grit on the top of their food in the mornings and later in the day I put about 1/4 tsp on a plate with their greens for them to have fun with.

6. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Ok, thanks! [​IMG] So eventually when they are grown and in their main coop where they have access to a little bit of pasture, then I should give it free choice?

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] exactly. If they start getting greens and such, give them some in small amounts and do not leave it for free choice until they are foraging outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by