Chick's panting in incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepinglaura, Mar 24, 2009.

1. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Since it's 102 in the incubator and brooder is 95, I'm wondering if I should remove chick from bator super-fast. She's panting (but very healthy). She's been in there 6.5 hrs. The rest of the eggs have pipped substantially, so I don't think grabbing her would hurt other hatches too much. Am I wrong?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would remove her now. Seems like she is too hot.

Also, during hatching, you can turn the incubator down to around 99.5 or 100 degrees.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  3. livin-green

livin-green Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Clay, Alabama
    Would turning the temp down a little also help keep the humidity from shooting up? Or am I backwards on that?

Also, what will that do to the un-pipped eggs?

4. Chickenteacher

Chickenteacher Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Patterson, Louisiana
    Make a quick grab....It's getting hot in there!

5. peepinglaura

Mar 9, 2009
    Thank you. Chick is happily in brooder!

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It shouldn't be too hot... Are you sure your thermometer is completely accurate. I'd turn the temp down a little or you'll just keep having that problem with every chick that hatches. Yes the humidity might drop a bit. Hot air holds more moisture than cold air. It probably won't be that noticeable though.

7. peepinglaura

Mar 9, 2009
    It's weird. The other chicks seem ok but this one was miserable. I put her in the brooder, and she's on the periphery of the heat lamp, not right under it. Not a fan of heat, apparently. However, she's free to get warmer or colder as she chooses in the brooder. She seems super healthy, so I guess she's just a "hot chick." [​IMG]

I think my temp is right. I have 2 thermometers in there agreeing with each other, and tested against another thermometer a while ago.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    See, that is quite interesting to me. I'm hardly an old hand at this, maybe 70 chicks the last year, but have consistently had to drop temps below the 95 for week 1 etc. because they were obviously too hot.

9. peepinglaura

Mar 9, 2009
    Quote:To me, 70 chicks is definitely a qualifier for "old hand" status!

10. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    humidity is too high! if plugs are in pull them,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by