Chicks pecked hole in chick's head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beckyloo, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Beckyloo

Beckyloo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    This afternoon when I awoke, I noticed the other chickens pecking on a chick. She has a hole on the top of her head above it's eye. We took her out of the pen. We can see the eyeball through the hole, and the chicken seems to be gasping after it chirps. I tried to spay Blue-kote but couldn't get close enough. Should I put the chick out of her misery or wait it out? This is our first flock and not susre what to do. It is no longer bleeding. and does chirp. but is not walking around. She is breathing heavy.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would put her down, but I have little patience for high maintenance injuries this early in the game, and that's what this is going to be. The other chicks have either sensed that she is weak or there is not enough space for them all. If she is a weakling then she is likely going to die anyways. If space is the issue then that is easily resolved. Either way, it is likely too late for this particular chick.

I am sorry. Good luck with the rest of them.

3. Beckyloo

Beckyloo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    Well thought I would post an update. We decided not to put her down. She is no longer gasping for air, The hole has closed we can no longer see the eye through the hole. She seems to love chasing the kids around the bedroom. She chirps all day untill we turn the light out or we hold her. I'm so glad we did not put her down. She made a great turn around. She is eating and drinking fine. I will be keeping eye out for infections but I think she is good. I do wonder if we will ever be able to put her back with the group?

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You can try when she is fully healed. As long as she remains about the same size as the rest of the flock she should be fine to be reintroduced when healed. If she starts lagging behind size wise because of the injury you will need to be more careful when introducing her back to the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by