1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks Pecking at Each Other Something Awful

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenkerri, Jan 21, 2010.

1. chickenkerri

chickenkerri Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have a large brooder with 15 chicks. I've noticed that a couple oif the Silkies tailfeathers are bleeding and the other chicks are pecking on them - making everything worse. They have a lot of space, fresh water and food, and plenty of heat. IS there anything I can do? [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    You need to seperate the bleeding birds immediately...the other chicks WILL peck them to death. Check them all for mites / lice...sometimes that starts the pecking...

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    What is the temperature in the brooder?????

Sounds like it is too hot.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    It sounds like you have more than one breed in there?

I found, when mine were little chicks, that having more than one breed sometimes makes one breed a target.

However, i had success by keeping a really good eye on them, and whenever anyone is getting pecked, i use a blue-colored wound-kote spray on the wound, usually repeating the next day. This kept my babies safe and made so that i could put them back in with the flock

Also, as purpletree mentioned, too much heat will encourage this behavior. Describing their set-up, etc., might help us help you more.

5. chickenkerri

chickenkerri Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Thanks for all the replies thus far. Yes, there are three different breeds but I've noticed bleeding from only two - Buff Orphs and Silkies. No sign of foul play with the B/c Marans. I have a large GQF brooder box and it's not too hot, in fact I don't think it's hot enough. I did take the bright light bulb out and I think that's making a difference. They all seem to huddle together when the light is off and spread out more when it's on. I had to order special 7-watt red bulbs from GQF and they won't be here for at least 4-5 days. I couldn't get to the store today for the "blue coat" but will get there tomorrow.

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Sometimes, it's just that one breed looks more 'interesting.' I had rhode island reds, barred rocks, and buff orps, and the buffs got it every time. None of the others was ever pecked until they were 11 or 12 weeks old. The blue kote makes them look a little like parrots for a while, but it protects their health, and that's the main thing. Oh, and it'll get all over your hands, so you might want to wear gloves.

7. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    What is the color of your bulb? It helps to use the red one.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Target has 25 watt red bulbs. They call it a party bulb. It's near the black lights, in the light bulb section.

9. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    You can get a blue light or a red light at petsmart too. I had my light on a pole so that I could raise it up. Also make sure they have enough room to get out of heat. Have the light in one section not cover the whole box
    Granted I only had a few at a time but here was my set up.
    [​IMG] I found that if they could get away from the heat they were nicer to each other.
    Caroline

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    could be to hot, to noisy, to much light. I switched to heat emitters instead of red heat lamps and have had no problems with chicks picking each other, with the emitters there is no extra light so your birds have a normal light and darkness pattern

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by