Chicks pecking at my toenail with fungus

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sphinxface, Apr 19, 2016.

1. sphinxface

sphinxface Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    Ok sorry that is gross, but I found it interesting that they can see something weird there when I barely just realized it was there. Also not sure if this is the best place to post. It reminds me a little bit about how dogs can sense things humans cant always.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Their eyesight and point of view is different then ours.

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    In dogs, the sense of smell is paramount and that, more than a "psychic" sense" is what enables some dogs to pick up on diseases.

With chickens, the sense of smell is minimal, but their eye sight is keen. They do notice the slightest thing out of place. I regularly have to have treatments for pre-cancerous and skin cancer lesions, and my chickens see those treated and even some untreated spots, and if I forget to cover them with gloves or long sleeves, they will "surgically" remove them.

4. sphinxface

Apr 7, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    I know its not a supernatural kind of sense, I just find it interesting how they percieve things differently. I mean they peck at nail polish too lol

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    ...or........maybe..........they are just pecking at your toes.......regardless of the toes condition? ;-)

6. sphinxface

Apr 7, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    Except that they only peck that one, but maybe ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by