Chicks pecking at others eyes/eyelids

kidfarmer

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 29, 2015
Massachusetts
My australorp chick has been pecking at the Rhode Island reds eyes/eyelids all day. They are red from where she has been pecking at them. I sectioned off a part of the brooder for her "timeout" place.. Is there anything else I could do to prevent her from doing that?

HI kidfarmer, glad you have joined BYC.

Cannot guess what started it, but once there is an injury or red, chicks or chickens will keep pecking. Separation is the first step, if you could do the partition with wire to let them keep seeing but not touching will help avoid reintegration.

Are you using a white or red brooder lamp…if it is white light, then change to the red - it hides red, blood, injury and should help.

I see you have also posted under raising baby chicks. Likely you'll get some experienced input.

Wishing you and all your chicks good luck.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I have had this problem in the past. They do this because they are either a bit warm and or bored. Next will be toe picking.
roll.png
What I do to curb this is lower the heat by a few degrees. This chills them out and gives their bodies something to do with their energy to keep warm. Work your heat down from this temp.

Next, give them things to do. They get bored in there and peck at everything. I like to cut down a low cereal box or something and fill it with sand, dried leaves, chick starter, alfalfa leaves, etc...and let them scratch around in there.

Also, put some branches and a roost bar in there to climb and roost on. These small things can do wonders for those bored eye and toe pickers!

And get them on the living room floor or even outside on nice days in a safe enclosure. Field trips really help their over all state of mind and burns off calories.

Good luck with your babies and welcome to our flock!

You could try a safe parrot toy - they are built to stand abuse by stronger beaks than chickens. Or throw in a brightly colored (maybe RED) ball for them to chase and attack. Sometimes a mirror (that won't fall on them) will get their attention. You could cut the narrow sides out of a shoe box so they have a tunnel to go through or hide in. Chicks are getting to the point where you wish you could enroll them in pre-coop school - just to get them out of your hair.

Back
Top Bottom