1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks pecking at their reflection

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeatherMarieR, Feb 28, 2015.

1. HeatherMarieR

HeatherMarieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    I have my 3 Silkie chicks in a galvanized tub with pine shavings covering the bottom. They've started kicking the pine shavings out of their way and pecking at the bottom. I'm assuming that they can probably see their reflection. They don't appear to be causing themselves any harm, but could this become a problem?

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    They may be moving the shavings to get to food pieces and grit. They spill and make messes so they are cleaning up. My babies are constantly moving things and pecking at everything. They are so fun and cute.

3. HeatherMarieR

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    I figured they probably weren't causing any harm. One of them was on death's door from pasty butt when I got it yesterday, so I'm glad it's feeling well enough to play around now.

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Put enough pine shavings in the tub to ensure that they can't get to the bottom of it.

Chickens can't differentia their own image from that of another chicken.

They may do themselves harm by trying to put that strange chick in its place. That is the chick that keeps looking up at your own babies from the bottom of the tub in a hostile way and who insists on matching your own baby chicks' aggressive pecks, peck for peck.[​IMG]

Years ago I lost a grown rooster who decided to fight his own reflection in a chrome pickup truck bumper.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  5. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    I don't care if you put the shavings 6" deep, they'll eventually scratch their way to the bottom. As for pecking at their reflection, can you see your reflection in the bottom of a galvanized tub? I've never seen anything galvanized that's shiny enough to be reflective. It's in their nature to scratch and peck, they're just doing what comes naturally

6. HeatherMarieR

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    That's awful about your rooster. I thought I had enough pine shavings in the bottom to prevent this (close to 2 inches), but apparently not.

7. HeatherMarieR

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    I wondered how they could possibly be seeing their reflection in the bottom, but they seemed so determined to keep pecking in that one place. They finally tired out and gave up. [​IMG]

8. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    They may think it is fun because it makes noise. I have seen that before. They keep pecking on something til they get bored with it.

1 person likes this.
  9. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    yeah we had a rooster that would attack his reflection in the chrome bumper of the truck too. Also, DW found an old oval shaped mirror she set on the ground in one of the flower beds for the birds, he found that and started jumping around and went plumb nutso on it, pecking at it and when he jumped up and bumped and pecked at the same time he shattered it. It was hilarious watching him thinking how "bad" he was cause he literally destroyed that rival!

I had the generator running while I was building the new coop that spring, and the muffler on it was shiny chrome, he only jumped at that hot muffler once that I knew of, if I'd seen him eyeing it, I'd have run him away before hand...

10. HeatherMarieR

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    He sounds like quite a character. I think my truck sits too high for my rooster to be able to see himself in the bumper, luckily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by