chicks pecking each other eyes!

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
Ok, here I am again asking for advice. Got twenty new chicks today, they are in a box with a temp. Heat is good, sugar in the water, they are eating and drinking very well, but I noticed when they are not sleeping they are pecking each other in the eyes and it is freaking me out. I got some grass clippings to put in there so they would have something to peck at but still going on. I am afraid I will get up in the morning to a disaster! Any suggestions outside of clipping the top bill? thanks in advance.
idunno.gif

I would think they will get over it pretty soon, but it is possible that they are stressed from being too crowded in the brooder. Can you move half to another space, or find a bigger brooder?

Also, you might give them other shiny things to peck at in the meantime. Marbles, polished river rocks, that kind of thing. It might distract them long enough to figure out that pecking at non-food items is pointless.

-MTchick

I agree with trying to distract them- maybe you could put some of their starter on a paper towel so that it stands out? My chicks went totally bonkers over a string that was hanging just out of their reach (they eventually figured out how to jump and grab it, so i removed it).

M.t.chick and accidentalfarm, thanks you guys are on the right track. Out of desperation I put a small stuffed animal in there with them. They started pecking at it and now are all snuggled up/ on/around it. I hope this puts a stop to it. I thought about separating some of them but don't have another drop light. If this doesn't work then I will figure out another way in the morning. thanks because this was my first experience with chicks and it frightened me.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom