Chicks pecking each other

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pcosmom, Mar 13, 2013.

1. pcosmom

pcosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    I Went to TSC and walked back to see the chicks as normal and to my dismay the tetra tints that yesterday where fly out of the tubs where eating / pecking each other as where a couple red sex links.
    I bought the worst $10 for $1 each and my husband is washing down the sore spots as we speak.
    How long do I need to keep them seperate from my other TSC chicks that r the same age..as these chicks r almost 3wks old and flying. My other babies r in a hen house with a yard and 2 heat lights so I dont have to worry about crowding and escaping..

Can I use neosprene or maybe diaper cream on the sores which r primarily on wings and butts..

2. DaddyBird

DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Don't know about the timing but using red heat lamps rather than white will help diminish the urge to peck, as will the additional space. We have 9 chicks from 2-6 weeks in the same brooder (a rather large box) and we have had absolutely no issues with bullying. The red of the sores may be too tempting for them though so I would at least wait until they are somewhat healed.

3. pcosmom

Mar 28, 2011
    My lights r red..and for tonight they r inside. I might see how the chicks treat them tomorrow. I have a brooder cage I can put in the otherside of the chicken pen..

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    you can also try rooster booster peck no more it works wonders for pecking and helps wounds too! i used it because my pullet was pecking my babies, she stopped she hated that stuff and she still won't peck them now after stopping use
    i just put it on my chicks back it won't hurt them. works great

5. pcosmom

Mar 28, 2011
    Once we cleaned them up the wounds didnt look bad and where not bright red and they didnt peck each other.
    They r out in the chicken yard right now with the others and noone seems to be pecking ..yeah..
    Even my bigger pullet girls r playing nice..they r a couple weeks older and Im not ready to move them to the big house just yet

6. pcosmom

Mar 28, 2011
    [​IMG]

One of my bigger pullet babies and one of the injured chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by