Chicks pecking each other's beaks

White Leghorn

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
North Carolina
I have some chicks that have just hatched and I cam home today to find that two had beaks that were bleeding! I have never had this happen before and I am kind of worried... Any idea why they may be doing this and how to stop them?

This is something that is very common among chicks It seems as if they are trying to satisfy their curiosity and peck around the beaks. When there is a late bloomer from a hatch you will see the older birds do it the younger as well. Maybe it instinct and a start to learning the pecking order. Who knows, I see it all the time.

If you have a bleeder it would be best to separate the bleeder from the rest with a divider or such in the brooder box, separate food and water until the blood clears up and injury healed. Chickens are naturally cannibalistic and when they see blood it sets them off to investigate and start pecking at it and of course the matter gets worse if not stopped. The whole group could then take turns at pecking the injured bird leaving you with a dead chick. It's all "monkey see monkey do with chickens. One does the rest will follow.

Good luck and I am sure your chick will be fine.... Steve

This is something that is very common among chicks It seems as if they are trying to satisfy their curiosity and peck around the beaks. When there is a late bloomer from a hatch you will see the older birds do it the younger as well. Maybe it instinct and a start to learning the pecking order. Who knows, I see it all the time.

If you have a bleeder it would be best to separate the bleeder from the rest with a divider or such in the brooder box, separate food and water until the blood clears up and injury healed. Chickens are naturally cannibalistic and when they see blood it sets them off to investigate and start pecking at it and of course the matter gets worse if not stopped. The whole group could then take turns at pecking the injured bird leaving you with a dead chick. It's all "monkey see monkey do with chickens. One does the rest will follow.

Good luck and I am sure your chick will be fine.... Steve
Thank you! I have already done everything you said to do here and they are healing perfectly! Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom