1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks pecking each others tail area

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DeniseAksamit, Apr 21, 2009.

1. DeniseAksamit

DeniseAksamit New Egg

Dec 22, 2008
    Port Orchard, Washington
    I have 6 Barred Rock two week old chicks. This morning I noticed there are 3 with bloody spots along the tops of thier tails where the others are pecking them. I have them in a large box with a heat light, feed & water. What should I do to make them stop pecking each other?

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

What are you feeding?

Have you witnessed the pecking, might be something else...any pics?

At two weeks they may feel crowded, they are just about to start flying!

Do you have any 'no-peck' solution or blue lotion to mask the red spots?

You may have a single bully, someone ready to burst out and be 'free'...what accomodations are planned for the next stage of their brooding?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  3. DeniseAksamit

DeniseAksamit New Egg

Dec 22, 2008
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Im feeding them the starter feed and fresh water. The box is huge so thats not a problem but maybe they need to be able to see out? They arent fully feathered yet so can't be without the heat light.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I've had chicks that behave like this, I think they like to peck at the shafts around the emerging feathers. Sometimes it helps to put the Blue Kote on the pecked places to keep them from continuing. You can also give them better things to peck at, a big clump of grass with roots attatched, a dish of dry dirt to dig in, perches to climb on, other things to keep them busy. Keep a close eye to identify the peckers & the pecked, you may have to seperate them if nothing else will stop them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by