Chicks pecking eyes.

winterwolf4

Songster
Feb 17, 2023
Oregon
One of several of my Beifehelder chicks is pecking at my Lavender Ameracaunas eyes. How can I stop this? Is this normal? One of them also grabs onto other chicks beaks. They have plenty of food and water. And I am using a red light.
Photo 1 is of one of my Biefehelder chicks.
Photo 2 is of one of my Lavender Ameracauna chicks.

Attachments

• 20230308_110410.jpg
    20230308_110410.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230308_110341.jpg
    20230308_110341.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 16
One of several of my Beifehelder chicks is pecking at my Lavender Ameracaunas eyes. How can I stop this? Is this normal? One of them also grabs onto other chicks beaks. They have plenty of food and water. And I am using a red light.
Are they eating food already?

Yes, provide the regular feed. Chicks peck at everything. It's how they determine what is okay to eat without the direction of a mother.
I have noticed they peck at everything. I have a lavender Orpington that seems to have something by her eyelid (looks like a stick of feather Ifyou know what I mean) when I try to touch it with a q tip she squirms. It seems to be attached so I don’t want to pull it. I guess I’ll just keep an eye on it.

Totally normal. They will peck your teeth, your eyes, eachothers eyes, eachothers feet, as long as no one gets injured (which rarely happens from it) all is well.

Back
Top Bottom