chicks pecking..need suggestions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mystary, May 15, 2008.

1. Mystary

Mystary Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Jackson, GA
    I bought 8 BO chicks from an auction a week ago. They are about 7 weeks old. From what I can tell there are 2 girls and 6 boys. They keep pecking each other. I have tried everything to make them stop. There hasn't been any blood as far as I know. They are in isolation from the rest of my flock until they get older. They are in a 12x12 barn with a 10x25 outdoor run. So I think they have enough room. I am feeding them medicated chick starter. they have food and water available to them 24/7. I have 2 feeders and 2 waterers. I read somewhere that they may not be getting enough protein, so I started cooking them boiled eggs for a morning treat. So far nothing seems to be working. Does anyone have anymore suggestions? Thanks in advance,

Tina

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. tinman9952

tinman9952 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    Waterford,Maine
    I made the mistake of using white light as a heat source (instead of red) when my first bunch were chicks. They have plenty of space, plenty of protein, no mites, and bald bottoms. As far as i can tell, it's a learned behavior that they won't outgrow.

3. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Can you put some snacks that they have to peck at, like apple slices, in with them so they have a good outlet for pecking?

4. Mystary

Mystary Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Jackson, GA
    Apples...I didn't even thank of that. I will try that. Something else to keep them occupied. Thanks,

Tina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by