1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks pecking on eachother.... need help soon.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pureupto99per, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Pureupto99per

Pureupto99per Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    Orange, CA
    I need help.... I have four delaware chicks (two weeks old) and three Austrolorp chicks (four weeks old?).... I hatched the delaware chicks myself and my fiance wanted to get these austrolorp chicks from the feed store when we went to go get food... the austrolorps looked tattered and "hen pecked" and I didnt want them but my fiance insisted. now that we have them in the brooder one of the austrolorps is picking on another austrolorp (its back is bleeding, I cleaned it up with rubbing alcohol and neosporin)...

What do I do with the one that seems to be causing the trouble? The delawares dont seems to be getting picked on but you never know. I was thinking of taking the two "healthy" austrolorps and sticking them in their own brooder and leaving the injured one with the delawares which are really friendly. I dont know, all I know is that I cant stand these mean austrolorps around my delawares.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Maybe someone with more experience will post, but from what I understand, Blukote is supposed to help with picking.

ETA: if you can, get rid of the mean one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2010
  3. Pureupto99per

Dec 17, 2009
    Orange, CA
    ETA: if you can, get rid of the mean one.

... Like "sleep with the fishes" sorta thing .... I dont think we can talk here, call me from a pay phone. lol!! [​IMG]

we separated the Austrolorps from the Delawares... hopefully, that will ease whatever stress is causing them (the Austrolorps) to pick at each other. My Delawares are thankfully alright but I worry about the injured Austro... [​IMG]

4. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    probably need more room

5. mtnkids

mtnkids Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    Do you have a red bulb on them? My dad always said to use the red bulbs and that would keep them from pecking. I don't know if its true or not, but I've always used them and haven't had the pecking issues.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    What are you keeping them in? How much space do they have? What are they eating? Blue-kote is a good idea. It will help keep infection away and the color and nasty taste will help keep the other chicks from pecking at the injured areas.

7. Pureupto99per

Dec 17, 2009
    Orange, CA
    I'm keeping them in a large dog kennel/crate (4x2) with a white light. They had the pecking problem before I got them... like I said they were pretty rag tag and beat up... the feed store I got them from said they ordered 25 and ended up with 75, so their brooder was too small. (like I said before I didnt want them, they looked horrible... my fiance bought them anyway... so now I'm just trying to get them healthy and happy.)

I'm feeding them medicated chick start and grow.... they are bedded with straw... water and food at all times... white light (which I've never had a prob. with)...

I have the troublemaker exiled to a small makeshift brooder (2x2). The two other injured austrolorps are in a smaller kennel/crate (3x2) and my four delawares are in the larger kennel/crate. this seems to be working out fine although I worry about the troublemaker being alone... but if she's going to be mean then thats what she gets right? I'll wait for the other two to heal and then try to reintroduce the three austrolorps... if that goes well then introduce the three to the four delawares... I dunno.

8. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Blue Kote is great stuff, I don't use lights at all on my brooders, I like Ceramic heat emittors. I also hang small bird toys in the brooders. Seems to help.
    Best wishes to you!
    (BTW, I love Austrolorps)

9. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Since I've started using red lamps or ceramic heat emitters I have not had a problem with pecking. I think the bright white light is too stimulating.

10. Pureupto99per

Dec 17, 2009
    Orange, CA
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! [​IMG] they are much appreciated...

@BorderKelpie: I dont know too much about Australorps, they were my fiance's impulse buy... what are yours like?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by