1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks Pecking Other Chicks Eyes???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by new2this, Mar 26, 2007.

1. new2this

new2this New Egg

Mar 25, 2007
    Wentzville, MO
    :mad: I have three baby chicks(hens) and two of them are ganging up on the Silver Wyndotte and pecking its eyes, is that normal, I feel bad for the little gal. Please advise....
    New2this

2. Sunshine Hen

Sunshine Hen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I don't think thats normal. I would keep the poor chick in a seperate area for a while, or try giving them something else to peck at.

3. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Sometimes using a red heat bulb instead of a white bulb can help discourage this. If they are feeling crowded, that can cause this too. If they are bored, you can throw a few green grass clippings, (make sure no pesticides/insecticides etc. is on the grass) into the brooder to give them something new to peck at/occupy their time.

4. new2this

new2this New Egg

Mar 25, 2007
    Wentzville, MO
    Well, I hope so. Poor lil gal, she seems really lazy....I hope she can make it, she also throws up almost like she is gagging, them spits up this mucus llokinf stuff..it is nasty...

5. Sunshine Hen

Sunshine Hen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I'm sure she'll be fine. But still, I'm rooting for you.[​IMG]

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

How old are they?
    How are the pecked one's poops?
    She may be being kept away from the food when the other two are there and then gorging herself when they're doing other things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by