chicks pecking wood

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by burgerusmc, Feb 3, 2015.

1. burgerusmc

burgerusmc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2015
    harford county, MD
    So, probably a rookie question, but my 8 week old chicks keep relentlessly pecking at the wood in the coop and esting the pine shavings while in the coop. I tried putting food in there but they still just peck at the coop And eat the shavings. Anybodys chicks doing the same? Thanks guys And gals

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    The wall thing is just exploration. Put a few handfuls of feed, treats or whatever on the pine shavings. They are wanting to forage, give them something edible to find. They are also ready for baby chicken grit now which will probably curb their shavings eating. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I have a board covering a hole in the fence.. My nosey pullets pecked a hole right through it, looks like a nice sized peep hole... Another set of pullets I have pecked a hole through a metal sided enclosure lol... They didn't suffer for it, all 17 are at the point of lay and in the house with the big girls.

4. mossyroo

mossyroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Mossy Head, FL
    My coop/run has metal siding. My chicks pecked at that a lot when they were first put out there but I think they have lost interest in it. They have always pecked at the shavings but I don't think they ever actually ate many.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My chicks do the same thing. Everytime I go near the brooder I hear "thump, thump, thump". I've never had an issue with them eating the shavings though (admittedly, I mostly use straw now). Them eating shavings could be a problem. If I were you, I'd remove them and leave them on a bare floor until they're eating their feed reliably.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  6. burgerusmc

burgerusmc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2015
    harford county, MD
    good advice Everyone. I am glad that it's a normal thing to have happen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by