Chicks pecking

Chickenslol

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
idk man, no clue
3935726B-2B31-463A-988C-647831A4F1AF.jpeg

I have one chick in particular that’s being targeted by other chicks in the flock. We only have a flock of six, so this is unusual. We have isolated the injured chuck along with another chick that is the same breed as her until we can get them a bigger space and she can heal. It seems to be one in particular, but we just aren’t sure at this point as a considerable amount of feathers have been pulled in a span of two days, to the point where we didn’t notice until there was blood on one of their wooden blocks and we checked all of them for injuries. We’ve raised chicks in this exact bin before and they didn’t peck like this, so it might just be breed. We have a light brown leghorn that seems to be doing the pecking, if that’s gives and ideas

thanks!

sometimes i think its just a matter of them pecking at something interesting like an odd spot, which attracts the others to try it, which reveals even more interesting little things to peck at .. yeah just seperate it, by the time it heals up the pecking problem will likely be gone ..

How big is your brooder? Any photos of set up?

My guess is crowding or boredom. Doesn't matter if you've raised many chicks without issue in this same set up before, each chick is an individual and some are a little more testy or energetic.

The good news is the picking doesn't look too bad so the chick in the photo should refeather quickly and without too much issue.

Here’s an update for anyone wanting more info. We’ve built a new mini enclosure for them and will move into it tomorrow. The other chick is indeed healing well, and we were thinking about putting some type of bandage on the back, but she is a very active chicken so it’s just a matter of monitoring for infection. Included is also the enclosure that they were in before, any tips on what we did wrong or what to improve?

14F1D49E-8983-4CEC-B2FE-826D82D73553.jpeg

A1309E61-4898-4EB4-A576-6271F3B851D6.jpeg

Before was the plastic tub? I know a lot of folks use those but they're small with nothing to really look at (since the walls aren't transparent), so I could see chicks growing bored within the confines.

Yea I that is a problem. Before we raised them in the summer so when they got too big we just put them into the coop. We eventually are having to isolate the pecking chicken for a few days because she’s doing the same thing to the other chickens, but as far as we can tell none of the other chicks are pecking. I suspect we might have a mini pecking order, which is bad because we’ll be putting these in with our four docile full grown birds that don’t have a pecking order. I’m going to try to calm down the bully birds because we have full grown Rhode Island reds and I know they can be aggressive to other birds, especially new comers

Back
Top Bottom