Chicks Peeking Each other!! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by STucker, Apr 10, 2011.

1. STucker

STucker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    SouthEast Texas
    I have a huge problem that has already cause the death of two of my 14 chicks. They are peeking each other. Their butts mainly but it has gotten to the point that they are killing each other. Can someone tell me what I can do to stop this before all of them are in chicky heaven. They are about 7 weeks old.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    We definitely need more information. At that age in your climate I hope they are outdoors without heat and with plenty to do, pecking the ground and such.

3. STucker

Apr 7, 2011
    SouthEast Texas
    I live in SouthEast Texas, the weather has been fairly nice. They are in a 10 x 8 Pen outdoors. With shade during most of the day. There is grass on the grown where they are. They have plenty to do.

4. gina4animals

gina4animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Salida, CO
    You can try putting a red - heatlamp type light on them - it seems to reduce the pecking as they don't see the blood that way. Just don't get it too hot - keep it far enough from them that they don't get too hot!

5. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    Seven week olds do not need a heat lamp, they are fully feathered by then. I had to seperate 3 of mine because of pecking and they live in a different area.

6. STucker

Apr 7, 2011
    SouthEast Texas
    So do I need to remove the bullies?? I have taken out the injured ones already.

7. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Agree, no heat, it can actually aggravate pecking.

Definitely, if you have identified a bully or two, separate them. Ideally, a bully should spend a few days by himself. He will be at the bottom of the pecking order when returned to the flock. And get the injured ones back as soon as you can so this doesn't happen to them -- it's a difficult thing because they will peck blood, I know.

Not quite sure why they should be pecking so badly, that is plenty of space and them temp should be fine especially with shade. How about protein? What are you feeding them? Some protein supplement might help turn this around.

8. SunKissedAcres

SunKissedAcres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    Most definitely go to TSC and get a FLOCK BLOCK. Theyve been out since summer, and they are amazing. They have STOPPED my pecking issues! They give them something to peck at instead of each other, and have all the vitamins/minerals they need to make them just beautiful. Helps their feathers, shinier, fuller, etc.

You won't be sorry.

9. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Um, what they usually need when they are pecking that badly is more protein. Flock block will distract them and of course the fat will make them shiny, but it is not getting at the root of the problem.

10. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I would also add to put blue kote or something to mask the red color of blood as soon as you see it. Once they see blood they will just keep going after it.
    Also, if they are pecking at the other's butts, I wonder if they are going after mites or lice. Is that a possibility?
    And yes, separate the bullies, NOT the victims.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by