1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks perching on top of the food and water jars...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jillion, Apr 25, 2011.

1. jillion

jillion New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    How do I keep my chicks from perching on top of the food and water jars? They are almost 4 weeks old, and two of them like to be up there pretty consistently. Then they poop and I have to clean out the feeder and waterer several times a day. What can I do?

2. Steergirl

Steergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    Put an upside down bowl on the top (one that is completely rounded so they slide off) Or make a cone out of thin cardboard and tape it to the top.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'd give them a perch if you haven't already and make it higher than your containers. They'll choose the higher perch. I know this because I have a water bucket with nipples hanging and they're all about getting up there (which I don't mind since it's impossible to foul the water inside the bucket!) Nobody bothers to perch on the feeder.

4. miraclz5

miraclz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I don't mind.....with them being little feathered pigglets....I change their water and feeder so often it doesn't bother me too much. The cone thing sounds like it would work the best!!! Good luck!!!

5. jillion

jillion New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks. I think I'll try the cone idea. We have a roost in there, but it's only 3 inches high. They get on it sometimes. Maybe I'll try making it higher too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by