chicks picking at another chicks bloody pin feathers

TrishChibas

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
FL
PLease help! I have 5 chicks and they seem to have ganged up on one. I heard a chick chirping quite loudly so I ran to go see what the problem was. They picked her poor little tush and now her little pin feathers are bleeding. What do I do? What do I put on it? I've seperated them for now but the hurt one keeps chirping because it's lonely
sad.png
. They're only a week and a half old and I only have 1 heat lamp. Ahhh. I don't know what to do. We live in Fl so it's pretty hot already but I don't want to stress her out. Please help me asap.

Quote:
You can give it a little stuffed animal and a small mirror for company until it heals and any 60-100 bulb lamp will work for heat. A plastic tub makes a good brooder. Just make sure the chick can get away from the heat. About 12" high for 60 watt and more for 100 watt.
welcome-byc.gif

I put a stuffed animal in there and it's all snuggled up to it. I have another problem... out of the 5 chicks I have, 2 are red stars. The one with the bloody butt happens to be one of them. The other red star chick had a drop of blood on her from the wound on the other chick. The rest of the chicks started picking at her now! I cleaned the blood off but now they wont stop picking at her! This is a nightmare. She's not bleeding yet, but I know it's just a matter of time. I'm still new to all this chicken stuff
sad.png

I have seen other members that say to use Blu Kote spray on them. I used this yesterday for the first time. I had fresh hatched silkie chicks that were still in the incubator. they had picked a bloody sore spot on the 5Th chick and he was bleeding. I sprayed him with Blu-Kote and the picking stopped. He is in with the other chicks today and doing fine.
You should be able to find it at any farm or feed store.

Back
Top Bottom