1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks picking at pine shavings...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Firefly, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    My one week old chicks had their first day in the bigger box with pine shavings today. (Previously I'd been using newspaper with papertowel on top). I've noticed them picking at it... but I can't really tell if they're eating it or not. What do you guys think-- should I put some grit in there just in case they are eating it?

I'm also having a hard time keeping the shavings out of their food and water. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help!

2. AmyAnnette

AmyAnnette New Egg

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicks will peek at anything. If grit is in their food I won't worry about anything. Good Luck:D

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

They are going to pick at it a little, just because they are finding out what it is....as far as the food and water....you said they are one week old....so try elevateing the food and water diches, anout 2 inches from the floor. This should help in keeping it cleaner!

4. cookie_chick

cookie_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Australia
    i find using shredded paper works best with paper towel underneath works like a charm

5. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    Thanks all, as usual good advice!! [​IMG]

6. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    to keep shaving out of the water.set the waterer on a 2 by 4 big enough to support the waterer.an make sure the wood block is level.so the water dont run over.that will keep alot of the shavings out of their water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by