Chicks picking on Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vtara16, May 12, 2010.

1. vtara16

vtara16 In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    North Hampton
    How come my leghorns are picking at the other chicks feathers? I am new to this, so any help would be great.

2. vtara16

vtara16 In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    North Hampton
    ???

3. Lady~Araucana

Lady~Araucana In the Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Are the leghorns bigger than the other chicks?

4. vtara16

vtara16 In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    North Hampton
    No I bought all of the chicks at the exact same time. They are actually a little bit smaller than the rest!
    I am not sure what to do. The leghorns seem to be pecking at the middle of the barred rocks backs. The BR have bare backs down their spine. The flesh is still ok, but feathers are disappearing!

I have separated the leghorns. But now what? Is this normal? Any advice would be appreciated.

5. vtara16

vtara16 In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    North Hampton
    bump

6. Lady~Araucana

Lady~Araucana In the Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    If at all possible i would seperate them, i have heard of chicks killing other chicks by pecking on them like that. A second Brooder may be just what you need!

7. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    Are the other chicks red or Frizzled? my chicks (all same size & age) liked picking @ the curly &/or red feathers, so a red light cleared it right up! Also, if you can dangle some sort of food from above for them to peck @, it might divert the attention from other chickies. Mine weren't mean about it, they just calmly followed the lil guys & nibbled away...

ETA- nevermind, I see we were all replying @ same time - no reds or frizzies. Well, I believe I'd separate them for safety's sake, as others mentioned doing. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by