Chicks picking on ducklings. Please help ASAP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PSJ, Feb 28, 2014.

1. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    One of my Peking ducklings has a bloody head and swollen, bruised beak. I have removed the culprit(s) but is there anything I can do for the duckling? Ointments or anything? Please help ASAP

2. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Are they still in a brooder? If so what color light are you using? Clean the ducks head and if it is bad wound put a bit of antibiotic ointment on it. You may have to continue to separate if it continues.

3. PSJ

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    I moved the culprit(s) to a separate brooder. I've always used a regular bulb. I've heard red works better, but I've never had a problem with regular. I've had chickens for about 6 years now but this is the first time with ducklings.

4. PSJ

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Can I use Blu-kote on the ducklings head?

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I have never used Blu kote only b/c of alcohol content i would think it would sting like crazy,but many on forum do use it. I prefer an antibiotic ointment,nothing ending in "caine/cane" toxic to birds. Decision is yours on what to use.

I think the Blu-Kote label states to not use around eyes/nostrils/mouth,check label.

Make sure duckling is eating/drinking.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  6. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Yes on the Blue Kote..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by