Chicks picking on lone chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MissChessy, Feb 24, 2008.

1. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] I have 15 almost 3 week old chicks. They are seemingly picking on one lone chick around her neck area. They have nearly picked her neck clean. There is no bleeding or open wounds. Can someone explain to me why they are doing this and what do I need to do to protect this lone chick? She is a danish brown leghorn. Thanks!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Often this is due to bordom. Increasing brooder space and giving them "fun stuff" to do will prevent picking on the lone chick.

3. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    I have them in a large galvanized water trough. I have a 2 step level roost for them to jump on. Not sure what to do. When you mean fun things, can you give me suggestions? I would appreciate it.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At three weeks old, a few treats in the shavings may help out with boredom, as well as leaves or something of the sort that they have to scratch through to find goodies out of. A bowel of sand for dust baths might also be fun for them and may help for a distraction.

5. CluckThis

CluckThis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Arlington, Washington
    We have 25 2 1/2 week olds that have plenty of space and a dowel to roost on. They sometimes seem bored, and occasionally get in to scuffles, no pecking though. Sometimes they seemed to take it out on the thermometer. The wife found a couple of ping-pong balls, one green, and one orange. They were some sales gimic for something we didn't buy. They have a bean or a BB in them and they rattle a little bit. We threw them in the brooder and were supprised to see the chicks pecking and knocking them about like beach balls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by