1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks Pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Whirlwind, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Here is the before picture of my feed store bantam chicks and adoptive mom Belle.

[​IMG]

They are now aprox. 5 weeks old.
    Here is black chick, kind? Pullet? No wattles and pale comb.

[​IMG]

Here is the gray chick, Kind? roo? He has dark legs.

[​IMG]

Here is the black and white, Kind? Roo? look at those tail feathers. They are quite impressive.
    [​IMG]

2. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    I have no idea what they are but they sure are cute.
    [​IMG] Kristyne

3. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    I think you are correct......

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    they are sooo cute! I don't know the breeds but boy are they little stars!! I love the momma hen who adopted them. She is such a good momma. Keep updating photos, please. [​IMG]

5. Whirlwind

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the kind words all.

Yesterday I let them out to free range for a hour or so. I kept a close eye on them as worried about other hens and cats. Momma got in a fight with a BR that used to be below her in pecking order. Had to get the broom to break things up. Big girls hate the broom. Don't hit them just show it to them they and off they go. Momma is ok. Babies just stood in a huddle wondering what was all that about. They are so fun to watch. The hawk started its calling and Brrrrrr..... from momma and zip they all hid. To Cute!! funny did the same thing when dh was using his disk grinder.

Cindy

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    [​IMG] on your DH. That is so cool that you can let them do some free ranging at this age and they be protected. I had just asked my DH yesterday about hawks. I haven't seen any since things have warmed up around here. I wondered if they migrated or what? I see turkey buzzards all the time but no hawks. I guess I shouldn't let my guard down. Keep posting updates as we really enjoy seeing them and hearing about them. [​IMG]

7. Whirlwind

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Well as we live on a creek we have hawks. We have Mississippi Kites nesting now and seems they keep most hawks away while they are here. Don't trust the kites with the chicks though. Lost 1 hen to the hawk, caught in the act. Possibly one other, not for sure. I can't let them out when I see the hawks hanging around. Sometimes they land right in the front yard. When I see that, no free ranging for a few days.

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    What a good momma!! I think you're correct on the sexing, but I have no idea what breeds. They sure are cute, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by