1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks!! (picts!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by earthnut, Dec 12, 2007.

1. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    My chicks hatched today!!! Too bad I had to work :mad: I have two white leghorns (hope at least one is a hen [​IMG]) in a LG bator.

They were cramming themselves into one corner of the bator and cheeping quite a lot. Mostly just little peeps, but sometimes some loud cheeps! The humidity was 75% and the temperature was 96'F. Both vents were closed. One looked very healthy and was almost dry. The other was about half dry, was pasty, and walked funny. I opened the vents and they got quiet.

Both of the chicks are dry now, but one of the chicks has feathers that are glued together, so that they lay flat on the chick's body. Evidently it's just fluffing out slowly. OK, I'll be patient. [​IMG] [​IMG] It is getting fluffier...

According to my attempt at sexing them, the fluffy one is a male ([​IMG]) and the sticky one is a female ([​IMG]). Note to self: don't get attached to Mr. Fluffy...

final update: Missie has stickiness, pasty butt, bloody navel, is pale, and is picked on by the totally healthy Mr. Meanie. [​IMG]

Here's some picts!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Mr. Fluffy"
    [​IMG] "Miss Scrawny"
    [​IMG] (Brooder)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You need to open those vents. They need air. Other than that, I dont know. Sounds like they are trying to get away from a draft.

3. earthnut

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    Did so. They migrated to the other corner now! [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

LOL, goofy kids! What's in their little brains? As long as it's warm and they can breathe, not much else to be done, I guess.

5. earthnut

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    They have quieted down quite a bit. They are in the center of the bator, looks like they're sleeping! [​IMG]

6. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    so cute

7. speckledhen

Well, good, maybe opening the vents helped the airflow regulate somewhat.

8. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Nice fluffy chicks!

I hope they make it! [​IMG]

Congratulations!

9. earthnut

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    One of the babes isn't fluffing out! [​IMG] Some of the feathers are fluffy, but more are glued together, so that they lay flat on the chick's body. Also, it has some pasty stuff stuck to it's head, back, and vent. Help! [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

Just leave it alone and eventually, it will fluff out, especially after you get it in the brooder in a dry environment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by