Chicks Piping and the humidy dropped.........

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by antiquebuff, Mar 3, 2008.

1. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Help Again Please! I have 12 chicks piping just barely and my humidity has dropped to 59 . I am using a still air Hova Bator. The temp is right on 100. Today is day 20 . Should I risk opening and adding a sponge or let it go. I can hear the babies peeping. I just don't want to do the wrong thing....
    Thanks again , I don't think my chicks and I would have made it without this forum! Thanks [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would get a warm wet sponge and in the blink of an eye slip it on and close that lid! I had a couple chicks have trouble getting out of thick membranes so I actually increased my humidity to 80% for those 2 to finally hatch.

The general rule I tell everyone that asks it to sit on your hands. however, I also know how important the humidity is to a hatch.

Lightening fast add a warm wet sponge or cloth or sock.

Good luck with your hatch!

3. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    I did it! Lightening Speed.......They were just peeping away. thanks and I will do an update in the morning.[​IMG]

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm not wondering if that was part of the issue with our babies being late. I was afraid to open it to add humidity. Good luck and I'm looking forward to your update!
    K

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Songster

Oh I cant wait till morning to hear all the news of the pips coming out ! glad you added the sponge........

6. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Ok, Its been a long night![​IMG] I now have 3 very active jet black bantam cochins..... They are precious....but they are rolling the other eggs all around. I have pips in 12 others (Silkies) But no zipping yet. I wonder if Silkies are a little slower ......I sure hope I get some of those! I can see another cochin just pecking away trying to get out. The first one that hatched screamed for three hours until another hatched and when it did , it settled right down and was fine! [​IMG] They are so sweet........I am so excited. I will add photos as soon as I can get in the bator. [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Congrats on your hatch!!

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Great!!![​IMG]

9. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Oh, its been a long day! I now have 10 babies peeping away. [​IMG]
    I have moved 3 to the brooder and the Silkies are so tiny they are still in the bator. I had to help two out and follow the directions on this link and I think they are going to be fine. They are weak but if they make it to morning I think they will be ok. Oh, the Silkies are so sweet and I can't believe the size.....This has been so much fun, but I am exhausted! A pleasant exhausted! [​IMG]
    When I figure out how to post photos I will add some!
    Thanks for all the help on my hatch![​IMG]

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Congratulations on your chicks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: