Chicks Piping and the humidy dropped.........

antiquebuff

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Franklin, NC
Help Again Please! I have 12 chicks piping just barely and my humidity has dropped to 59 . I am using a still air Hova Bator. The temp is right on 100. Today is day 20 . Should I risk opening and adding a sponge or let it go. I can hear the babies peeping. I just don't want to do the wrong thing....
Thanks again , I don't think my chicks and I would have made it without this forum! Thanks
jumpy.gif

I would get a warm wet sponge and in the blink of an eye slip it on and close that lid! I had a couple chicks have trouble getting out of thick membranes so I actually increased my humidity to 80% for those 2 to finally hatch.

The general rule I tell everyone that asks it to sit on your hands. however, I also know how important the humidity is to a hatch.

Lightening fast add a warm wet sponge or cloth or sock.

Good luck with your hatch!

Ok, Its been a long night!
big_smile.png
I now have 3 very active jet black bantam cochins..... They are precious....but they are rolling the other eggs all around. I have pips in 12 others (Silkies) But no zipping yet. I wonder if Silkies are a little slower ......I sure hope I get some of those! I can see another cochin just pecking away trying to get out. The first one that hatched screamed for three hours until another hatched and when it did , it settled right down and was fine!
jumpy.gif
They are so sweet........I am so excited. I will add photos as soon as I can get in the bator.
wee.gif

Oh, its been a long day! I now have 10 babies peeping away.
yippiechickie.gif

I have moved 3 to the brooder and the Silkies are so tiny they are still in the bator. I had to help two out and follow the directions on this link and I think they are going to be fine. They are weak but if they make it to morning I think they will be ok. Oh, the Silkies are so sweet and I can't believe the size.....This has been so much fun, but I am exhausted! A pleasant exhausted!
clap.gif

When I figure out how to post photos I will add some!
Thanks for all the help on my hatch!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom