Chicks piping day 19...

Poultry keeper12

Songster
Mar 27, 2018
So, this is my third year hatching chicks, and this morning there was a little surprise, an egg was piped is this normal? Will they be fine.

Hi!

Yup everything will be fine. This actually happened on my last hatch... my temp and RH were both fine throughout incubation and I had a few chicks fully hatch on days 19 and 20... and the majority on day 21.
Get your brooder ready because as soon as the little one is dried off (and any other early comers) you can start to transfer. Enjoy!

Thank you . Also the humidity is running low, would it be fine if I quickly opened the incubator, to put a wash cloth in?

Thank you . Also the humidity is running low, would it be fine if I quickly opened the incubator, to put a wash cloth in?
My bator has water pumped in so I don't need to open it for increasing the humidity BUT I do open the lid to transfer dried-off chicks while others are still hatching...the humidity recovers quickly without incident. If I were you I'd definitely get that cloth in there because you don't want it too dry. If that inner membrane dries, it will be very difficult for the chick to hatch. So yes, do what you have to to get that humidity up but also be ready for the humidity to spike once this early riser opens his/her shell. My bator has a built in vent...not sure what you have but you'll have to keep it under control.

If I have to open my 'bator when I have pips, I try to move it into a bathroom in which I've run a hot shower. That keeps the humidity high and does not risk affecting any eggs. But you have to have a portable 'bator to do that! ;)

If I have to open my 'bator when I have pips, I try to move it into a bathroom in which I've run a hot shower. That keeps the humidity high and does not risk affecting any eggs. But you have to have a portable 'bator to do that! ;)
Smart, i have a still air incubator, and it would be difficult to transfer the incubator too the bathroom. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom