1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks Pipping at Wrong End of Shell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicksgalore, Mar 24, 2009.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I have 3 pips so far and 2 of them are at the wrong end (they're supposed to be at the large end right?). What are their chances? Should I help?

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Give them at least 24 hours on their own. My 2nd Hatch I had one that pipped at the bottom and it got out after about 26 hours.

My 3rd Hatch I had one that pipped at the bottom and after 36 hours I helped. After you wait, if you help. Go very slow and have a warm paper towel ready to help keep things moist. If there is blood, stop and wait a while. With my first, I helped a little and it did the rest, with the second, I think it was sooo tired, I pretty much did it all. Then it slept for about 1 hour and then off it went and she is my adorable sweet little Barred Rock.

3. chicksgalore

Jul 19, 2008
    I'm assuming you take the egg completely out of the bator when you helped?

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I just had one pip last night at the wrong end, he made it out just fine today!! Patience!!!

5. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    wheaton marans are notorious for pipping wrong end. Most have hatched just fine on their own only had to help a few and them not until 24 hours after pip. That is why I dont use the egg carton method if the marans pip the wrong end in it then by the time I know it they have already died of lack of oxygen

6. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    If they've pipped they have an air supply. The problem with upside down eggs is that when they need the air before they pip, it's not there so they suffocate.

7. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    Quote:I am so glad to learn this little fact! I am hatching some marans right now and The 3 that piped are on the small end! I was confused about what I did different.... Nothing! so now I know and I am going to wait until 24 hrs to help.

[​IMG]

8. chicksgalore

Jul 19, 2008
    Just a note: I have 10 chicks right now and out of those, several pipped at the wrong end and they hatched out just fine.

9. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    oh ok. I am just so nervous. I have never seen so many wrong end pippers!! I have 2 more to go but I have helped them after the pip didn't zip in about 24 hours.

10. jonty

jonty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Voßfeld Germany
    Some times it's very hard to determine which end is which. I would think in most cases you have the egg the wrong way round. I incubate 1000 eggs at a time and sometimes still find it hard to determine which way I place them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by