Chicks pipping but dying in the egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iajewel, Jun 15, 2011.

1. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I have had a bunch and I mean over 3/4 of my hatch pip, and then stop and dye. What Im I doing wrong?

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm sorry this is happening.

Is your humidity high enough? Maybe the membrane is drying up on them. It gets too tough to break through.

3. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    What is the humidity in the unit? Any time I have a hatch problem it has been because I have not paid close enough attention to the wet-bulb humidity. Just a idea.

4. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Im about 70-78% humidity. Thats one thing I did was buy a good thermometer. Should it be higher?

5. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    yeah if its dry inside the bator then its going to be dry inside the egg and the membrane will wrap around the chick and become too thick to pierce and suffocate him before i bought hydrometers for my bators i lost about 80 eggs that way and then i found out the humidity was about 30% inside during incubation and hatching plus found out i had been setting the eggs upside down and they were loosing air when they were suppose to break into the air sac and are you putting the eggs in pointed end down in the turner?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  6. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Yes, the eggs are small end down, large end up, heat is about 99.8-100 humidity is about 70-78

7. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Oh.. Im using a hoovabator, with a fan and turner. Yes I locked them down at 3 days. I have hatched eggs for years with no issues, this year, its a mess and I don't know why.

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    How long from pipping to death? Do you know?

9. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Yes, I keep a good eye on them. They are in my office and Im a writter, so .. I pretty much live with them LOL. Some started pipping last night and by the time I woke up, they were dead. some chirping in the egg, never pipped.. dead. so I would say 8 hours. The ones I caught I did open up the hole just a bit so they would breath, those had a 50/50 success rate. They did do best if I opened the hole, however it wasn't a total cure.

10. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:the pointed end is resting in the turner right? you dont have it setting in the turner like this do you?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by