chicks pipping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RockinChickenFarm, Sep 29, 2011.

1. RockinChickenFarm

RockinChickenFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    I have a pullet sitting on 9 eggs and today is day 21!! Three eggs have little holes in them and I can hear peeping! We have never had eggs hatch before and have a few questions. Is it okay to touch the eggs? If the chick has trouble hatching, is it okay to try to help it or should we just leave them alone? How long does it usually take the chick to hatch? Do I need to separate the mama and eggs from the rest of the flock? Does anyone have any advice? Things we SHOULD DO and things we SHOULD NOT DO??

Any advice is welcome and would be VERY helpful. Thank you for your help![​IMG]

2. RockinChickenFarm

Sep 29, 2011
    One chick has hatched!! We noticed the pips around 5pm this evening. Do we just let them go until they hatch, if they do? Or do we need to help them after a certain amount of time?

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Some can hatch in minutes and others can take up to around 24 hrs to hatch after they have pipped. Don't worry.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    And [​IMG]

5. RockinChickenFarm

Sep 29, 2011
    thanks cmom!! A friend told me I had to get them out of the egg soon and I didn't know if that was right or not. thanks for the reply and welcome!!

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I would leave them alone until you see her done. Just like an incubator, they need humidity provided by mum. When you lift her up, its like opening the bator.
    STEP AWAY FROM THE HEN!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome! Leave the chicks to their own adventure. Hatching can be tough work and many times will take up to or more than 24hrs. There are too many things that could go wrong if you try to help them out. Nature is amazing but not perfect.

I always leave my broody in the coop with everyone so there are no issues with reintergration. I give my broody a small dog crate and they get locked up at night so they do not wander out and underneath the big hens jumping off their perch. Each morning after the big girls head out I open up the door for momma and her chicks. works really well to keep the babies safe. I also keep a bowl of medicated chick starter in there for them.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I like that idea of using a dog crate...

9. RockinChickenFarm

Sep 29, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. So far two have hatched and things are going welll!

10. 1hotmoma

1hotmoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    [​IMG] Congrats! I hope we can see pictures soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by