1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks playing with nipple waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by konachicks, Nov 15, 2014.

1. konachicks

konachicks Chillin' With My Peeps

came home today and checked on babies and saw the nipple waterer was empty and a few chicks wet[​IMG] I thought at first it was leaking but have checked and it's fine. So I'm thinking they were just playing with it. Luckily a puppy pad soaked it all up but I don't want this happening constantly. Anyone have ideas of how to stop them?

2. konachicks

I really should search before I post. Found someone else had the same problem and was told to raise it. Gonna try and see if it works [​IMG]

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I was just going to advise the same thing...raise that waterer!! [​IMG]

4. konachicks

Haha! We raised it and are making sure they can all reach. I saw one of the smaller girls reach and drink so I'm hoping they all will [​IMG] We'd had a traditional waterer in there too cause we've only had the nipple one for 2 days. I'm worried they'll get dehydrated cause DH took the traditional out. Should I leave it out or in for a bit longer?

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Your hubby is absolutely correct....remove ALL other water sources. They won't get dehydrated...As shown in my BYC page (you'll see the link to it below in my signature block area) your girls are a lot smarter than you think! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by