chicks playtime outside??????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by reelaxd, Jul 23, 2011.

1. reelaxd

reelaxd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Lynchburg
    how old do my new chicks have to be before i can take them outside for a couple minutes????????????????//................

2. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I'm not for sure but I started taking mine outside (if warm) at 2 weeks..

3. reelaxd

reelaxd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Lynchburg
    ok thanx for the info

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    If you're feeding them feed with amprolium in it, you should be able to start within a few days if you take them out for short periods and it's warm enough. We started taking ours out at 5 days and have been doing so ever since without any issues.

5. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    Same with ours. They were just a few days old. My husband built them a little mini coop/pen to keep them safe from the cats and bigger chickens in yard, oh and the goat as well. They loved the warm grass.

6. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    They were a few days old when I took them. Outside

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  7. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    How do you contain them outside? We have not started building the coop or the run yet!

8. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    You can use anything that can be set up in a way that will pen them into a particular area (e.g. cardboard boxes, buckets, cinder blocks, etc.). Even a kiddie pool a low barrel, etc. would work. The sky's the limit so long as there are no sharp edges or other surfaces that they could hurt themselves on and you are there monitoring them the whole time they are out.

9. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    I would say if you have warm summer weather as early as a week or less they could start going outside

10. burbankchix

burbankchix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    California
    We live in Southern California, but when we got our chicks in mid-June it was still in the 60's at night and not much better during the day. We keep them in a 5'x2'x12" long box, but at about 4 weeks they started flying out of the box even after I'd built up the sides to 24". We had out coop and run already, so we just moved them out with the 250 watt red lamp and never looked back! They are so happy and have grown even bigger and faster. They love it outside. I know all the books recommend keeping them in for 6 weeks, but I don't know how you'd accomplish that in a house. They say no garages, etc., where heat can't be contained. So the coop was the best bet. We also covered the nesting box hinge ares with a blanket and another one on the gate inside the doors to keep out the cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by