1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks pooping out blood

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hwjimmy21, Oct 7, 2016.

1. hwjimmy21

hwjimmy21 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2015
    Hi! I am currently raising 6 baby chicks. Quite recently I started seeing blood on the ground and noticed that two of them were pooping out blood. Is this normal or is there something wrong with them? Thank you so much in advance! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Based on the photo and your description, it looks like your chicks could have coccidiosis. It's a very serious infection by parasitic protozoa that requires immediate treatment and is commonly treated with amprolium (Corid). Here's a thread with some additional information: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/233115/chick-pooping-blood.

Time is of the essence if this is a coccidia infection. Best of luck to you.

3. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I agree. If they were mine I would treat them all for Coccidiosis.

You can treat with Corid, which if found at your local feed store. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Keep us posted on their progress.

5. hwjimmy21

hwjimmy21 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2015
    Hi all. I thought I'd make some updates on the chicks. I separated the two chicks that were pooping out blood, and went to the feed store to find some medication. None of the stores carried Amprolium and after talking to the employees, none of the chicks we purchased had been given vaccinations. So I bought some medicated food in hopes it could do something. The only option in getting amprolium was online so I hope it won't be too late when I get it.
    This morning I found the other four chicks also having the problem of pooping out blood. Any suggestions on how to try to help them while I wait for amprolium?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  6. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

It must be frustrating that you're not able to find amprolium in your area. I hope the medicated starter will help keep the coccidia at bay until your order of Corid arrives. There are some home treatments in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Check out The Chicken Chick...Click onto Chicken care articles....scroll down to the article..

Good luck...

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How old are these chicks? Where are you brooding them? Have they come into contact with adult chickens? Or have the chicks been indoors in a brooder tank? What is the source of these chicks? Hatchery? Certified breeder? A neighbor down the road?

Have the chicks been eating anything that has red or purple in it such as tomatoes or berries?

How are the chicks behaving? Are they chipper and active or are they sleepy and lethargic?

If your chicks are active and normal, they may be fine. Cocci usually makes chicks pretty sick. It could be merely their poop is stained by what they're consuming.

We can have a better picture if we have more information. But it wont hurt anything to treat for cocci when the amprolium comes. Everyone with chickens should always keep some on hand.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Ditto what azygous said.

I'd look harder for some Corid. It's usually sold to treat cattle, that may help. Feed store employees don't always know about medications. Call around, don't spend a lot of time driving. Call and ask for Corid, see if you can find some. Or, order it on line and go for the fastest shipping you can get. Medicated feed doesn't have a high enough concentration to treat a bird that's already sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by