Chicks preening and grooming ALOT

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Solsken Farm, Jun 23, 2008.

1. I did a search and see that chicks do this frequently as their new feathers come in. I haven't been concerned, but today I noticed tiny white flakes around their necks mostly. Is this just normal skin defoliation as part of the fuzz departing and feathers coming in? Considering how much they are pecking and preening at themselves, it would make sense that the skin would be affected a little.

I cannot imagine we have any external parasites on this bunch, they are all just 5 weeks or so, but now I am a little paranoid.

I think I will try to find some DE this week and start using that. I hate to use any sevin or other pesticide if they are fine.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    It is probably just the coating from their pin feathers. It's kind of a waxy substance that flakes. I am new to chickens, but had parrots when I was younger. Of course if they have all their feathers already this won't matter and I'll shut up now [​IMG]
    Krista

3. That looks like what it is, Krista. Thanks. It sure is easy to get paranoid about things. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by