Chicks prefer snow to coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kvmommy, Jan 19, 2012.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I got a new coop about 2 weeks ago, its one of those small cheap ones. I've sealed the insides with caulking and it has a deep litter. They didn't mind it at first, but after my roo was killed I moved the coop up against my house. It is also more sheltered from the wind there and warmer. But the past two nights the chicks have been trying sleep in the 6 inch space between the coop and the house. They dug into the leaves and cram themselves in there. Also during the day if its too windy they usually go into their coop, lately they have been going under the deck instead. Does that mean there is something wrong with coop?

2. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Was you rooster killed in the coop? If so, it will take them a while before seeing it as a safe place to sleep again.

3. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    ahhh...that could be it. I don't know if he was exactly killed in the coop, but there was blood and feathers all over the outside of it and then he was eaten in my garden. Sooo...I think you are right, I didn't think about that. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by