Chicks Purring??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eliz, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    I first heard my black sex links doing this a couple of weeks ago.

Now one of my little Orps is doing it .

I am not really sure how to explain what it sounds like, but does anyone know what I am talking about?

If so, do you know what it is and why they do it?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If it's the sound I'm thinking about they are singing or cooing. It's a very contented sound right?

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If it's the sound I'm thinking of....sort of a trilling sound? That's what I call the "happy chicken sound."

4. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    It is almost like a vibrating sound? I thought it was some bird in a tree close by when I first heard it.

But yeah I thinks it's when they are happy and content. The orps do it when I bring them back inside to their brooder(plastic container). And Dixie did it one day while sun bathing.

Eitherway its really cute! [​IMG]

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I love to hear that noise. Mine make it after a good dose of yogurt.

6. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    My silkies do that too. I know exactly what you mean and I love that sound too. It's so cute. I agree that it's a "happy chicken sound".

My silkies are very talkative. It's amazing how they communicate with each other. They chirp non-stop, trill when they are really happy, and they communicate when they are afraid of something.

When I take them outside they are in constant "communication" with each other. Then one will hear a strange noise and make a very specific sound that must be a warning. Everyone ducks down and freezes like a little stone statue. After a bit, it will give another "all clear" sound and everyone goes back to chattering and foraging happily.

So funny, I could watch them all day [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickie does it when I get an email and she hers the ladie's voice announce it. If I talk to Chickie when she is "purring" she answers back with more purring and it gets louder. I do consider her purring to indicate she is content.

8. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    One of my roos churttles, the most noise I hear in the day comes from the roos after breeding some girlie, and of course the girls after they've laid their eggs, some of them sound like sirens! And not the beautiful singing kind, I mean fire engines!!! I love the little noises, but it took a long time to get used to the bragging noises, for the longest time I thought someone was hurt and would go running to check on the birds, I've learned my lesson.

9. smpezzi

smpezzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    Yup mine do it too, I love that sound it is so relaxing and content [​IMG]

10. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

I love that sound....two of my girls make that purring sound when they are taking a dust bath and in their catatonic dust bath state. [​IMG] They really get into their bathing.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by