Chicks put themselves to bed tonight!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sj3364, May 18, 2011.

1. sj3364

sj3364 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The chicks have been in their coop for over a week and I had to chase them down to get them in the coop at night. I took the advice of some BYCers and shut them in the coop for 5 days. They did not like it one bit. Today I let them out in the run for the first time since the lock down. I just when out to check on them and they were in the coop on their roosts like good little chickies!

I'm a happy chick mommy tonight.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    that's awesome!! [​IMG]

3. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    I have to put mine up a little early every night so that I can let the dogs out to run without them having chicken tenders for dinner. My chickens don't much like it and grumble the whole way, but they pretty much march right in. By the time I come down to shut things down in the barn, they are sound asleep on their roosts. [​IMG]

4. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Now, if you could just teach them to straighten up their 'room' before bed....well, wouldn't that be amazing?! (Mine just leave their poo all over the place!)

5. sj3364

sj3364 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I don't think there is hope for that. I'm still trying to train my 20 YO son to do that with little to no success. [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:[​IMG] I hear ya' on that one!!! And congrats on your chicks "growing up."

7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Isn't it great when they put themselves to bed. If I want mine to go in a little early all I have to say is "chick chick night night" and they march right on in.[​IMG]

8. truebluexf

truebluexf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Isn't that nice when they do that? We never had to shut ours in, just put them back in their coop each evening and after about 5 days, they did it on their own. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by