1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick's right leg not working

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by je, May 5, 2009.

1. je

je Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2008
    Bend, OR
    I have some ameraucana chicks that are 1 week old. They all looked fine yesterday, but today one is unable to use its right leg. The leg is just splayed out behind the chick. The chick can still hop around on its other leg, but I don't know what is wrong and I don't know what I should do.

Any ideas?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

splay leg... get out the pipe cleaners or band aids.

... or cull.

3. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    can you post pics? I thought splay leg was from birth and sudden symptoms indicated something like Merek's. I hope someone with more knowledge chimes in soon.

4. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I would say that the poor thing either broke a leg or is deformed [​IMG]. Last year I had a buff cochin banty and its leg was deformed. The good thing is that I know alot of chickens (not mine, a friends)that live a long happy life.

5. je

je Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2008
    Bend, OR
    I finally found good instructions for splinting the leg. We will see if it works.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

(Sorry, I can't provide a picture because I have already applied the band aid.)

6. je

je Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2008
    Bend, OR
    It is just a leg problem. The chick does not appear sick. They came from John Blehm, who I believe is a very reputable breeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by