Chicks Rockin' in lockdown--trying to be patient!

Country Chickens

Songster
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
Orange County, NC
We've got twelve white silkie eggs in the hatching bator, the first from our own birds. I understand they can't hatch just cause I'm excited, but that doesn't make it any easier to wait! Just to make sure I've calculated this right...if we started them on Thursday Jan. 26th in the evening then they shouldn't start to hatch til tomorrow (Wednesday) night, right? Also, if the humidity is running a little high--it's holding just below 70--is that okay or should I try to lower it a bit?

Sooo hoping this is a good hatch! And that they don't all hatch at night when I can't watch! lol

Thanks! I can't believe how nervous I am. Does this ever get easier? These were supposedly 'bonus' eggs, since we never predicted our silkie would start laying early January...but that doesn't seem to help! lol

Phew! That's good to know. We've only hatched once before, and that was shaken and shipped guinea eggs from which we only got a few keets to hatch. With guineas we didn't have to worry about upper level humidity because you pretty much want it as high as possible. With chicks it seems like you want it more in a certain range during lockdown. I understand that starts at about 60/65 but what is the higher end humidity for lockdown? I wouldn't want to drown them!

Also, we have another four eggs that will need to go into lockdown this Friday morning, but that will only be day 22 for the ones in the hatching bator now. Should I just add the new eggs to the old? Or set up our back up bator? After these two batches we have a little break in which I can clean the hatcher. If I can drag myself away from the chicks, that is! ;)

First external pip! The chick was really peeping, but has quieted down. Trying not to fret... :) Got up at 5:00am to check on things, and humidity had dropped. Refilled one of our baby food sponge jars. Humidity back up and temp holding steady. Time to get the kids off to school. I have a feeling the chicks are all going to hatch just as soon as I take a nap!

The first chick is out and fluffy! She's also peeping very long and loud. Let's hope she succeeds in hurrying along her sibs so she has company before bedtime tonight!

We've named her Prima, and there are seven more eggs externally pipped! Here's another pic (cause I can't resist) of her checking out the thermometer. I think she wants to play Angry Birds!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom