Chicks roosting under mama hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by djhchick, Apr 29, 2016.

1. djhchick

djhchick New Egg

Apr 29, 2016
    First off, I'm new to chickens. We haven't had ours a year yet but we're loving them! One of our hens went broody and she hatched her four eggs just a couple weeks ago. Three survived and are doing great. My question is about how long the chicks need to sleep under her at night in a nesting box. As of yesterday evening the chicks have been going up on the roost with her and are sitting under her on the roost! Yesterday we thought the chicks had disappeared until we looked up and saw all three up on the highest roost with mom- it's probably 7 ft off the ground. I was shocked! We've taken mom and chicks down each night and put them all in a nesting box because I'm not sure if this is really safe for her and the chicks. I've tried to let them alone and let mama do her thing but should I keep intervening here?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

They know what they are doing. If she and the babies are capable of roosting and have begun to, then they will be fine and should be left to their activities.

2 people like this.
  3. djhchick

djhchick New Egg

Apr 29, 2016
    Here's a picture of them, I just think it's so funny how they're all squeezed under her up there!
    Thank you for the advice Queen Misha, that's been my gut feeling, I just want to make sure they're safe.
    [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Momma knows what she's doing. She's doing a good job, teaching them to roost up high to be safe from predators.

Once momma starts roosting, in my experience they usually start laying again within about 2 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by